Monday 26 November 2012

Dietary Specials (DS) Pepperoni Pizza

Today I am reviewing one of my favourite foods: pepperoni pizza.  This one is from Dietary Specials (another fairly popular gluten-free brand).


I used to eat pizza a lot. A LOT. I'd think nothing of eating a large Domino's pizza all to myself (it seems that, for now, a gluten-free Domino's pizza remains a pipe dream: see this post from The Gluten Free Student Cookbook).  But now I'm trying to eat a bit healthier, pizza is an occasional treat.  I've had this pizza before and enjoyed it!


This was the pizza before I cooked it. The pizza isn't particularly large, and it also has a thin crust. Every time I've bought this pizza, there's exactly 7 small slices of pepperoni on the top. There also looks like there's a small amount of cheese on the top.


Despite not being the largest frozen pizza, it does taste good. The cheese on the top expands a lot when it cooks. The tomato sauce was well seasoned and had flavour. And the pizza dough itself... was really good! It didn't go soggy in the middle, and the crust was nice and crispy.

Really, my only problems with the pizza are it's size and the topping. For the price of the pizza, you'd expect a little more than a handful of small pepperoni slices, and perhaps a bit of a larger base.

Taste: I can't really fault the taste. The cheese is soft and there is a decent amount on the pizza. The base was soft in the middle and had a crunchy crust.

Price: £2.86 from Asda. Fairly expensive for the price of one small pizza.

Availability: I bought this pizza from Asda, but it doesn't seem to be at many of the other large supermarkets. According to the website, it's also available from Booths, Waitrose and Goodness Foods.

Clearly labelled gluten-free? Yes, "Gluten Free" and "Wheat Free" on the front of the box.


Nutritional value: ...It's a pizza! It's about 700 calories for one entire pizza, and it's high in saturated fat. An occasional treat.


Comparison to the real thing: I can't fault the flavour and the taste of the dough compared to other frozen pizzas.

Overall rating: 7/10
Definitely one of the better quality frozen gluten-free pizzas in the supermarkets. I enjoy these pizzas, and they're something quick and easy to quick. The size of the pizza compared to the price does put me off a little, but if it's not something you buy regularly, then I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment