Saturday 22 December 2012

A Gluten-Free Christmas

Last year was my very first gluten-free Christmas... and to be honest it wasn't too bad!

There are loads of great replacements for the foods you can usually buy for your Christmas dinner. But if you don't know where the best places to get them are, it can seem a little daunting. With three days to go until Christmas, and the shops already packed, I've only just got around to getting my own stuff!

Marks and Spencer was my first port of call for gluten free Christmas food. I'd bought some items from the food department there last year, and was really happy with what I bought. The staff were really helpful when we asked about what was gluten-free, and informed us that all their gluten-free food has a logo on the side. After looking at all the trays of cocktail sausages and stuffing-balls, I decided to go for the large 36-piece platter, which cost me £6.99. If you don't want to buy so much, there are smaller packs of stuffing balls and cocktail sausages for £3.00.


I also decided to buy my own individual-sized Christmas pudding from Marks and Spencer (because I know it's not to everyone's taste!). There are also large Christmas puddings available. I had this Christmas pudding last year, and it was delicious! I have no complaints!


I've also had these frozen Yorkshire Puddings from DS (Dietary Specials) before. They're just the same as normal frozen yorkshire puddings you would find from any other brand. They are available from Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Waitrose, Booths and GoodnessDirect.co.uk.


This year I will be trying a new gravy for my Christmas dinner! I am always on the search for a good gluten-free gravy, so after Christmas I will be giving my verdict on Antony Worrall Thompson's brand of instant gravy. It was from Asda, on offer at £1.50.
If beef gravy isn't your cup of tea, pots of turkey gravy are available from Marks and Spencer for £3.00.

 

The next foods on my list aren't strictly "Christmas food", but let's face it, everyone likes a good excuse to snack at Christmas. In terms of savoury food, these mini-breaksticks from Nature's Store and these gluten-free pretzels are one of your safest bets. The breadsticks were bought from Tesco, and the pretzels from Holland and Barratt.
 
 

So there's my recommendations for gluten-free Christmas food! My only other tip for enjoying a gluten-free Christmas is to keep checking the labels if in doubt.

Happy Christmas from Gluten Free Opinions UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment