Sunday 27 May 2012

Asda Free From Spaghetti

Today is Asda's own brand Free From Spaghetti pasta.


Pasta is my favourite food.  I would ALWAYS have it when I was a teenager and lived at home (around 4 or 5 times a week!).  I now realise that, due to my wheat intolerancy, it was doing a lot more harm than good!

I eat a lot of spaghetti bolognese (or, at least, my own version of it) because of all the vegetables I can hide in it (I'm not a massive veggie fan).  I usually eat it with pasta shapes because of the mess I create when I eat it with actual spaghetti, but I decided to go for a change recently.


Here is the pasta after cooking for 15-20 minutes...




I ate it with my bolognese-mince-vegetables hybrid and parmesan cheese.



Taste: Very nice!  I like my pasta a little overdone, but it kept its texture and didn't fall apart or go soggy when I ate it.

Price: £1.30 for a 500g packet.  Very reasonable for gluten-free pasta.

Availability: Asda "Free From" brand.  Tesco and Sainsbury's also do their own versions for the same price.

Clearly labelled gluten-free?: Yes.  Part of the Asda "Free From" range.  "Gluten free" and "Wheat free" on the label, with the Coeliac UK Crossed-Grain logo.


Nutritional value:  As with most carbohydrates, good in moderation!


Comparison to the regular version:  Taste and texture-wise, pretty much the same.  When I looked at Asda's own version of regular spaghetti it was 75p for the same amount.

Overall rating: 7/10

It's nothing special, but it tastes just like normal spaghetti, and was very good quality and easy to cook. Definitely recommended if you want something simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment